As you know H4 Visa is given to H1B Spouses and if you would like to enter US on H4 visa, you will need to go to US consulate and get visa stamped on your passport. If you are going along with your spouse for H4 visa stamping, it can be easy as both of you are together and the some of the documents are common. But, if you are going to H4 visa stamping by yourself, you will need to be prepared and carry all the relevant documents required for stamping. Below are the list of documents.
H4 Visa Documents Checklist for Stamping in Passport :
- Proof of H1B Holder ( spouse ) : You will need to carry all the relevant documents of your Spouse on H1B Visa as listed below
- Copy of the H1B Visa approval notice, also called as I-797 document
- Copy of actual copy of H1B application I-129 filed by attorney ( Optional, but good to carry)
- Copy of the Labour Condition Application ( LCA) used for H1B Visa filing
- Copy of your H1B holder (spouse’s) Passport all pages, including US visa page.
- If working for a client, instead of direct employment, you will need to carry Client letter from your H1B spouse’s end client to verify that he is still working
- Proof of your spouse, H1B visa holder, employment in form of Employment verification letter
- Proof of status of H1B holder, spouse, which is Copy of six months of pay slips
- If your H1B spouse lived in US for over a year and filed taxes, then Copy of Tax forms W2, including previous year’s tax returns and filing proofs.
- Proof of Relationship with Spouse : You will need to carry documents and proofs to verify your martial status.
- Certificate of Marriage issued by local government authorities like City, Municipality, Mandal, etc.
- If you had a proper wedding, your Wedding invitation card, Wedding Photo Album, Wedding Hall letter that was used for wedding, etc. (optional). It is recommended to carry photos of you together, if there was no proper wedding.
- Any other documents like Spouse name endorsed on passport, banks, etc.
If you plan to go for H4 stamping, all you need to do is to complete DS-160 form and then pay fee and schedule appointment, and carry the documents above for stamping. Nothing else, it is that simple !
Did I miss any other document ?
Also, just to make sure you all know that you cannot work on H4 visa in US, unless you qualify for EAD under certain conditions of H4 EAD Rule . USCIS has put in a proposal to remove the H4 EAD as there has been court litigation on this. We just need to wait and see, but as of now, if you are on H4 visa and qualify for the conditions, you can work on EAD, otherwise you cannot.